History

THE PAST

St Martin-in-the-Fields High School for Girls was founded in 1699 and has a tradition of education that extends over 300 years. In the mid-17th century, St Martin's Church and the Society for Promoting Christian Knowledge (SPCK) were headed by radical thinkers who believed that there should be a local school for girls as well as boys. Originally, the school was based in Charing Cross Road, close to its founding church. By the early twentieth century growth was such that a bigger building with proper grounds and playing fields became necessary. The school relocated to its present site in 1928. It was officially opened by the Duchess of York (Queen Mother), pictured left.

THE PRESENT

Schools are not just about the buildings or their status, they are really about the people and  what takes place inside them; what happens in them every minute of the day; the engaging and innovative teaching;  a consistent approach to behaviour; the care, interest and respect of student and adult relationships. At St Martin’s we are definitely getting this right. Underpinned by our strong Christian values, students are happy, ambitious and empowered to fulfil their learning potential.

 

The Present

THE FUTURE

Students benefit from learning in very traditional teaching areas, in our listed building, as well as in the more modern state of-the-art facilities, such as the new science suites, drama studio, sports hall and sixth form centre.

We provide our girls with a myriad of opportunities to empower them to fulfil their academic potential; we will equip them with the skills to be ‘learners of today, leaders of tomorrow’. Our girls will be ambitious for themselves and others; respect and value diversity; will have memories and friendships for life and the personal qualities and skills that will prepare them for life in the future, whatever that might look like.

 

The Future

HOW WE USED TO BE